Phoenix Violence Against Women Act Attorneys

Helping VAWA Victims Obtain Legal Immigration Status in Arizona

At Essien Law Firm, we are deeply passionate about supporting Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) victims. You do not deserve to live in fear of your spouse holding your immigration status over your head as they threaten abuse and violence. Our firm is committed to taking on VAWA cases and has a personal connection to immigration law. We will provide the empathetic and devoted legal representation you need to seek permanent residency in the US under VAWA.

If you need help applying for a VAWA visa, contact Essien Immigration Law for a Phoenix citizenship lawyer at 602-833-2650.


Schedule a free consultation with Essien Law Firm to discuss your VAWA situation in more detail. Advocating for spouses in Maricopa County and throughout Arizona.

What Is VAWA?

The Violence Against Women Act was passed by Congress in 1994 and allows non-US citizens to obtain lawful permanent residency status without an abusive spouse’s sponsorship. This means victims of domestic abuse by a spouse or relative who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR) do not need their abusive partner to sponsor their petition for permanent residency. The law arose in response to abusive spouses holding sponsorship as a token of threat or retaliation against victims of violence.

In order to qualify for permanent residency status under VAWA, you must have experienced some form or threat of domestic abuse. In the context of the law, domestic violence is any physical or sexual violence, as well as emotional abuse or verbal threats of violence prompting fear of imminent violence, against a family or household member. Examples of domestic violence victims include:

  • current or former spouses;
  • parents or children;
  • grandparents or grandchildren;
  • dating or romantic partners;
  • cohabitants;
  • relatives by blood or marriage.

Contact us today for a consultation at (602) 833-2650 or via message and let the lawyer who was once an immigrant fight for you.


Immigration Relief Options

There are a few forms of relief for abused spouses or relatives under VAWA:

  • Self-petition – You may self-petition for lawful permanent residency status if the abuser is: (i) a US citizen or LPR spouse; (ii) a US citizen or LPR spouse who has abused your child; (iii) a US citizen or LPR parent or stepparent; or (iv) an adult child of a US citizen.
  • File a battered spouse or child waiver – This waiver is for battered spouses who have conditional legal permanent residency, such as for marriages that have not exceeded 2 years. This also allows abused children of US citizens or LPRs to seek relief.
  • File a Cancellation of Removal – This is for immigrants (including children) already in removal (deportation) proceedings who can demonstrate that their US citizen or LPR spouse abused them. 
  • 24/7 Availability
  • Unique Perspective
  • Hardworking
  • Relatable
Hear From Our Clients

    Immigration is very complicated and you need an intelligent attorney to represent you, Lelia is that attorney.

    - Phillis M.

    I have used multiple attorneys in the past and Lelia has proven to exceed my expectations, she was completely understanding, professional and worked very diligently to the end and I’m so grateful!

    - Walter S.

    I have to admit that I was really impressed by the way she handle the case to bring it to a successful outcome in a very short period of time.

    - Elie Z.

    We are grateful to you Lelia Adams for your efforts you made since the very beginning of my husband Aloysius Davis Immigration process from South Korea

    - Alice D.

    Her knowledge of the laws when it comes to immigration is impeccable.

    - Timothy W.

Let Us Help You

VAWA offers domestic violence victims the chance to lead independent lives as legal permanent residents without having to rely on their abusive spouse or relative. However, VAWA cases are not easy to resolve, and they will require the skill and knowledge of an experienced attorney. 

Essien Law Firm can take a closer look at your case to determine your eligibility for VAWA and what legal options you have for relief. We are personally committed to supporting you through this difficult time, and we will do our best to guide you toward the most efficient and appropriate solution. Whether you are seeking safety for yourself or your children, our firm is here to help. We can help you petition for permanent residency without your abusive spouse’s approval or help you file a Cancellation of Removal in the midst of a removal proceeding against you.

Put an empathetic and assertive VAWA lawyer on your side. Essien Law Firm will fight tirelessly for you until you are safe. Contact our firm for a free consultation to get started.

Contact Us
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy